A Baroque kindom of heaven

Baroque pearl at Lake Constance
The Catholic parish church St. Martin is one of the pearls along the Upper Swabian Baroque Route, and a place of great art historical value. The baroque art of architecture and design is shown here in a scene of cheerful serenity.

An impressive exterior
The art-loving and architectural enthusiast Graf Anton III commissioned the building of the baroque church in the years 1718-1720, the builders of which, however, are unknown. Shortly before the start of construction, the St. Fridolins Chapel, which was built on the same site in 1479, was torn down. The newly constructed baroque church was finally consecrated in 1722. The west facade of the simple, well-structured exterior architecture is dominated by north tower, which wasn't completed until 1735. A second tower was originally planned, but was never built. The Marienkapelle chapel that was built on in 1728 protrudes from the south wall with the count's loge.
Together with the connected nursing home "Zum heiligen Geist", which is now a home for the elderly, the ensemble of buildings to the west of the market place characterises the historical heart of Langenargen.

Art treasures within
The high altar within the church, which fills the entire width and height of the chancel, is quite an impressive sight. The altarpiece "deposition from the cross" originates from Franz Anton Bronnenmeyer. Together with the side altars, the quire arch crucifix, the assistance figures and both painted emblems of the monastery, the high altar forms an overwhelming image.
The altarpiece of the right side altar originates from the artist Andreas Brugger, who lived in Langenargen for a long period of time. It was created at around 1775 and shows the patron saint of the church St. Martin as a heavenly intercessor. The left side alterpiece created around 1723 shows a view of Langenargen at the bottom with the planned double-tower facade for the parish church.
Other art treasures are the magnificent ceiling frescos by Franz Anton Maulbertsch, as well as the 15 rosary medallions kept in the Marienkapelle chapel from the succession of Hans Zürn.
 
A quarter to ten in St. Martin
During the summer months, from May to September, guided tours of the St. Martin's are provided each Thursday at 9.45 am. followed by an organ concert. Visitors can find out lots of interesting facts about the church and then admire the heavenly music of the baroque treasure.

 

Kontakt

Amt für Tourismus, Kultur
und Marketing

Obere Seestraße 2/1
Fon +49 (0)7543/9330-92
Fax +49 (0)7543/9330-5538
touristinfo@langenargen.de

powered by ITEOS